The Ph.D. degree requirements include
- full-time enrollment .
- 48 credits of coursework (16 courses), including up to six credits from outside mathematics (may be decreased for those entering with a Masters degree).
- written Preliminary Examinations completed before the start of the 4th semester.
- oral Candidacy Examination on topics selected in relevance to the candidate's research, completed before the start of the 6th semester.
- completion and successful defense of a dissertation.
The median time to degree for a Ph.D. is five years, though six years is not uncommon.
The M.Sc. degree requirements include
- 30 credits of coursework, or 24 credits plus a master's thesis.
- full-time or part-time enrollment.